Thursday, January 17, 2013

Journal Post #1


Blog #1

My name is Cindy Michaels and this is the first of many blogs in reference to technology introduction into the classroom. The first focus question that I chose is
What six key issues should a teacher consider when looking to integrate technology?

1)   What is your readiness to integrate technology into teaching and learning in schools?
2)   What are your reasons for wanting to use technology in your teaching?
3)   What are your views of the barriers that block teachers from using technology in their classrooms?
4)   What are your plans for the types of technologies you will use in your classroom?
5)   What are your goals for the kinds of teaching methods you plan to use in your classroom?
6)   What is your knowledge of the technologies your students are using both inside and outside of school?
These are great questions to ask yourself and consider. So what are the answers to these questions? I think that each of us would give different answers based on our own knowledge, experience and of course the availability of the technology in the school district or school that you are in. So these are my answers to the questions (key issues).

1)   Technology is a great resource to have. I would be considered an “early adaptor” I am more than willing to try to use new technology but would like to see evidence that it’s proven to work prior to attaining and using it. As I become a teacher of special needs children it becomes clear that having knowledge and education with current that is available, is essential. Once trained in specific technology I want to begin using said technology in the classroom immediately.
2)   As a teacher of children with various needs and abilities, having technology that will assist a child in learning is important. Having technology that gives a voice to a child that wouldn’t otherwise have communication is a need in my opinion not a want or desire. Many students can be non-verbal. Using an electronic device to offer a means of communication for those students, not only will give them a voice, but also will cut down on negative or undesirable behaviors because the frustration from not being able to communicate will be removed. A lot of new technology provides teacher more tools and opportunities to engage with the students.
3)   There are many barriers that as a teacher we must face. The lack of funding or access for new technology is a major reason why much of the new technology isn’t used in the classroom. Budgets for technology have steadily decreased over the years. The lack of training in many new technologies can frustrate teachers. The fact that technology can change so much. This month’s computer system or program can be obsolete six months from now. Another issue is that there can be a variety of needs in the classroom. Each child may have different abilities and be at different levels than one another. A complaint or barrier that many teachers face is time. Time to do all the things that they are first required to do each day. Time to learn new systems, use those systems and programs in the classroom. Having the new technology fit in with the curriculum and the level of technology skills of the teacher can be a barrier. Some other barriers could be organizational support or the lack thereof, the personal attitude of the teacher the fact that some students may lack the ability to have access to technology outside of school.
4)   My plans for using technology in my classroom are varied.
a.     Using a computer for communications with fellow teachers, parents and the administration at the school and elsewhere in the school district.
b.     Using computers, smart boards and other technology to create presentations to use during class.
c.      Using the computers and smart boards for web based learning activities.
d.     Use web based technology for lesson plans for the entire class as well as individually for each student to meet their needs.
e.     Create student projects and assignments.
f.      Use computers to offer learning games for the students.
g.     Provide a handheld device such as an iPad for students to use. If a child is non-verbal they can also use these handheld devices to communicate with myself and others.
h.     Use a word processing tool for documents such as assignments and reports (IEP is an example of a report). Create quizzes, tests and other assessments for the students.
5)   My personal teaching philosophy is  more student-centered than teacher-centered. I believe that it’s more important for the student to get hands on experience than just listening to me tell them something than quiz them on it later to see if they remembered it. Helping the students “discover” things I think allows the students to absorb more and promotes the students be more engaged in the lesson. Thus when the time comes to test them on the information they have a higher chance of remembering the information.
6)   I will not claim to be a computer/technology wizard, but I can use the computer and create presentations. I use handheld devices personally and use them to work with my own kids. With that said there is much technology out there designed for the classroom that I am unaware of but excited to learn and use with my students. This is my first blog if that is any indication of how I use technology and what types of technology that I use.


Tech Tools 1.2

How Stuff Works: Computer Channel
            I think that this is a great website that I will use with my students. This site gives me a great tool to teach them exactly how something may work. And again with the hands on approach I believe that they will learn more.

Below is a neat video from the website on How Electricity Works. 


The first chapter is a plethora of information on technology and education. While some things that I read about I was aware of, many things that were presented in the chapter never came to mind. I learned about tips and information that will help me when my teaching career begins. I am excited about learning as much as I can, and ready for any challenges that may come! 

Textbook - Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2011).Transforming Learning with New Technologies. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. 

1 comment:

  1. Off to a great start with your blogging! :) So fantastic that you embedded a video! Nice job. I like the notations that you made specific to the six key issues - it is vital that we consider each one of the barriers that you noted...and they will change, indeed!

    I like that you are keeping an open mind to all of the new technologies and how they might impact your future students! :)

    ReplyDelete